Green from the ‘inside-out’ and beautiful too!
Inspiration for our hotels’ dedication to Mother Earth comes from our 85-year-old founder and owner, Mrs. S.C. Huang. She is passionate about clean environments, after the untimely cancer-related deaths of three family members, and has devoted herself to creating environmentally safe and sustainable hotels.
Orchard Garden Hotel
- Built in 2006, eco-friendly construction materials included using concrete made from fly ash, a byproduct of recycling coal, and wood certified by the Forest Stewardship Council as harvested in a sustainable manner. One environmentally sustainable building practice used during construction diverts debris from landfill disposal by redirecting recyclable material back to the manufacturing process.
- California’s debut of a guestroom key card energy control system - after opening the guestroom door with the key card, the guest places the card in a discreet box in order to turn on the lights and other room systems. When exiting the room, the guest simply takes the key card, automatically ‘turning off’ the entire room, with the exception of an outlet that guests can use to charge laptops, cell phones and other battery-powered devices. This system is expected to save nearly 20 percent in energy consumption, paying for itself in less than two years.
- The building is well insulated resulting in less energy use for heating and air-conditioning and making the guest rooms very quiet.
- In-room recycling bins separate glass and paper for thorough recycling.
- Specially designed carpets include recycled content and have low chemical emissions.
- Energy efficient roofing (doesn’t absorb heat; keeps building cool)
Orchard Garden and Orchard Hotel
- Whenever possible, local and organic ingredients are used.
- All fabrics are made with recycled polyester and other textiles without chemicals and are machine-washed to avoid the chemicals that come with dry cleaning.
- 100% tobacco-free environment.
- Organic, citrus-based cleaning products are used throughout the hotel, which are just as effective as harsh traditional cleaners, but better for the staff and the environment.
- Water faucets and toilets are ‘low-flow.’
- Menus/collateral/paper (yes, including toilet paper!) is 100% recycled and inks used on all collateral and stationery are soy-based.
- All kitchens compost all waste materials and are meticulous about grease recycling.
- All lighting is halogen, compact fluorescent or LED.
- Strong supporters of alternative transportation: Commuter checks (pre-tax) provided to employees; Zip Cars (first hotel to sign up) and bike racks are available for guests
- Partially used bath amenities in recycled plastic containers are donated to homeless shelters
The Orchard Hotel - San Francisco, California (CA)
665 Bush Street, San Francisco, California 94108
Phone: 415-362-8878 Fax: 415-362-8088